Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fan the Flames Game #1: St Francis (PA)

Its time for our look at the first opponent of the 2010 season:


(2-9)




(8-3)

This is the second meeting in four seasons between these two programs...the last time the Red Flash came to Lynchburg, the Flames jumped out to an early lead and never looked back, rolling to a 68-10 victory. Rashad Jennings (now of the Jacksonville Jaguars) ran for 107 yards and a TD while Brock Smith threw for 194 and three TDs of his own.

The Red Flash have a new head coach in Chris Villarial,, former NFL lineman and offensive coordinator under previous head coach Dave Opfar. The Red Flash, out of the Northeast Conference, have not posted a winning season since 1992 (8-2...Liberty went 7-4 that season) and have posted five winless seasons in that span.

Now I would like to take a moment and say before I posted my score prediction that I was on FlameFans (a fan board for Liberty athletics where I post my blogs for discussion) and a fan from Presbyterian College took umbrage with my prediction. To SwissMilitant (who also is an occasional reader of this blog), I did not mean to be either "unprofessional" or "hubristic" in my prediction, but I do think that Liberty will win this one pretty handily. I do expect St Francis (as well as every other opponent that Liberty will face this season (including the Blue Hose) to give their full measure on the field but some teams are just much better than others on a given day and on this given day Liberty will be exactly that against the Red Flash


Liberty 72
St Francis (PA) 0

No comments: